Thursday, August 30, 2007

Found Film Ilford FP4 Chemistry class 1980'S??




I bought an early Voightlander Brillant on Ebay last month. It is a nice early all metal one with a compur shutter and a Skopar lens. The added bonus was that there was a partly exposed roll of film inside!
The film was Ilford FP4 this film was revised to FP4+ in 1990 so the film must have been purchased prior to then.
The film was on frame 4 when I got the camera the wheel on the camera that works the frame counter had left a rusty deposit on the film. so it was exposed some time ago.
I developed the roll of film that day in Kodak X-Tol. I have found that developer works well on old ilford films.
Looking at the photographs it looks like this could be a high school chemistry lesson in progress, bring in an old camera and load some B&W film shoot some film and develop the pictures. I would say that the person that took these pictures turned up with there grandfathers old camera which takes 120 film, and the school did not have a developing tank for the film. so it stayed inside the camera.
The cameras that the other people are using are point and shoot jobs, I would guess that this film was exposed in the 1980's
The voigtlander Brillant that the film was inside is a very nice example I have cleaned its Skopar lens and cleaned the shutter I am in the process of running a film through the camera, The skoppar lenses are very sharp and I have had good results from my other Voightlander brillants that have this lens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie, another good find. Looks like those guys are shooting with a Canon sureshot circa 1986, my parents had one just like it!
you're right this 'found film' stuff is addictive.
The Brilliant was a good camera, I think i few rolls of Fortepan or Adox would look very 1950's.
Mark

Charlie Wood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlie Wood said...

Thanks for identifying the Canon sureshot.
I have a collection of Voigtlander Brillants, They take great pictures, I do use them to take old looking photographs. The photograph on this blog of the Tyne bridge has that look its Neopan 400 and Rodinal. I am shooting some APX 400 in my Focussing Brillant at the moment. It has the Heliar Lens.

Charlie